Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Stock Report: Week 5

By: Brady

The Stock Report:

A little recap from the past two weeks and the highlights of my Stock Report, keeping myself accountable.

-The first issue of TSR included buys of Eric Decker and Beanie Wells.  Both players had big time weeks this past week.  Beanie with 3TDs and Decker with 2TDs.  I still like both players going forward, especially Beanie.

-My sells included Ryan Grant (injured) and the Carolina duo of Newton and Smith. Newton and Smith struggled mightily after I wrote that, but bounced back last week.I reiterate my concerns with Carolina’s offense this week.

-Last week my buys included Denarius Moore (1TD), Chris Johnson (first time over 100 yards) and Philip Rivers (300+, TD).

-I had sells on Cruz, who continued to play well as Manningham recovers, Donald Driver (who snagged a TD but very little production), and Roddy White who had 78 yards.

I’ve been pleased with my predictions so far, and hope it continues this week.  Remember that these predictions are not necessarily based on this week alone, they are usually rooted in my thoughts for the course of the season.  Enjoy.

Buy -Brandon LaFell – LaFell is a part of the surprisingly explosive Carolina Panthers passing attack, lead by Cameron Newton.  Full disclosure, I still do not believe that Cam will be able to continue to play at this level, but I think  if he does maintain some semblance of his recent play, Steve Smith will have coverages rolled his way.  Smith is still a downfield threat even though he has been around the league for some time now.  His presence stretching defenses deeper should force Cam Newton to look to his short and intermediate routes; likely meaning more targets and subsequently more catches for LaFell and tight end Greg Olsen.  Buy on LaFell cheap and monitor the situation in the coming weeks.

Buy – Reggie Wayne – This may come as a bit of a surprise that I am going to suggest anyone in the Colts offense – but I think Wayne is going to get back to a solid level of production.  I liked some of the things I saw from Curtis Painter and I think he will begin to sync well with Wayne as the weeks progress.  Garcon blew up a bit last week on a couple big plays, but I think those breakout plays will be coming from Wayne soon.  I do not expect Dallas Clark to be very big in the offense as he will have to stay in and block more for a young QB and a battered O-line; so the WRs will get the looks and Wayne is Painter’s best security blanket.  Buy Wayne low from someone who has been frustrated with having to watch the Colts offense and their shaky start.

Buy – Daniel Thomas - For someone who is unproven and on a bye; I think you might be able to make a move on a player with a lot of upside going forward.  Thomas has been hampered by a hamstring issue and may have lost his QB for the season.  I would expect the Dolphins to focus their offense around Thomas as they return from the bye week.  It was made clear again this past week when Thomas was out, that the Dolphins have no intentions of having Bush be an every down back or even feed him goal line carries. Thomas will be in line for a boatload of carries and the crucial goal line carries. If you think someone in your league has a short-term memory and is only recalling his nagging injury and bye week — see if you can snag him cheap.

HOLD – Jeremy Maclin - Maclin has been up and down this season, but I still am a believer.  He is not producing where he should be, but much of this Eagles team is just a little off.  I expect them to get to a level where they should be.  Regardless, it should be their defense that comes around last — which may mean there will be a serious honous on the offense to open up like we saw this past week with Vick totaling over 400+ yards.  I really believe that Maclin is the better true receiver out of Maclin and Jackson, and expect J Mac to keep getting looks to get into the end zone.  If you have Maclin, keep holding him as his true value (shoutout to Bob Vila) should come to fruition soon.

SELL – Mike Tolbert - This is a tough call because Tolbert will remain the threat on the goal line. He has also shown to be a solid receiver out of the backfield.  He is just not quite as productive between the twenties as Ryan Mathews is.  I think the workload is going to see a slow shift away from Tolbert and to Mathews, more than it already has.  If you have Tolbert as your 3rd back on your squad, see if someone desperate for some RB productive will give up a bit too much for him and take advantage of that opportunity.

SELL – Eli Manning - Eli has been playing at a high level this year, at least statisically.  He has some play makers on the edges doing big things for him and an always solid run game.  I think that if you have Eli on your bench as a possible QB2; you may want to look at this as an opportunity to sell Eli to a QB needy squad in your league. I simply do not see the yardage production remaining at this level and I would expect the turnovers to increase back to normal Eli-esque levels.

SELL – Brandon Marshall - The mercurial Brandon Marshall may not like the unrest at the QB spot in Miami. He has stayed relatively quiet on and off the field lately, but I think that may change soon as the struggling Dolphins will likely continue to
struggle.  I would expect Marshall to run into some issues producing — especially as there may be a looming coaching change coming.  Marshall still has the tools to get it done, and has over 300+ yards this year which is respectible.  I could easily see a problem coming down the road though, and I think you may want to move Marshal before his stock begins to tumble.

SPECULATIVE PLAY:
BUY-Josh Morgan - Morgan was on serious managers radars last year; and as the 49ers offense begins to open up some, I think he should be back on the radar.  Morgan has the physical tools and solid hands … well, definitely better hands than Braylon Edwards, but even Jim Abbott has better hands than BrayBray.  Morgan could be the beneficiary of Braylon’s injuries and Alex Smith gaining some confidence.  If Crabtree is no longer on waiver wires in your league, look to Morgan to stash on your bench for a couple weeks or as a bye week fill in.
  
Editor's Note:  Our friends over at IcetheKick.com have been kind enough to let us post one of their weekly articles, "The Stock Report".  It will cover who in fantasy football is worth buying or selling on.  You can expect this column every Wednesday or Thursday from now on.

For up to the hour insight from IcetheKick follow them on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment