Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The 25: Wide Receivers

by Matt Prendergast

List #3 in a series of five - today we're giving you what I consider to be the roughest of the categories - the Wide Receiver position.  No matter what I or you say or do, there's gonna be some dingus come out of nowhere and blow the scale, and three or four guys that just crap their pants....but we do this out of love. As always, my opinions only, but my opinions are law.

If necessary, Megatron will throw TDs to himself, got it?
Number One With a Bullet:

Calvin Johnson - But you already knew that. CJ is the best player at his position, in good health and is just starting to peak on a team that finally understands the importance of throwing to him. Problem: You're going to need to deal out a first round pick to get him, but at the back end of Round One, I don't hate the idea, assuming you're grabbing the best available RB on the way back.

2 to 25: Feel Free to Argue, I Won't Be Listening Anyway

2) Andre Johnson - Yes, he's getting older and got banged up (again) last year; those are the only two factors separating him from Calvin Johnson, really, and I suspect if Andre gets through camp healthy (and so does Schaub), he'll be in fine form for at least 13 games this year

3) Roddy White - I love Julio Jones, but he's the hot ticket now in ATL. Defenses will likely consider it the same, and they can't double down on both guys. Thing is, Roddy hasn't really lost a step or anything, so this should benefit him in a colossal manner.

4) Jordy Nelson - Sure I'm a Packer homer, but I also like everything I've heard and seen out of camp so far - and Jordy hasn't even hit his groove hit. Again, there's a million options for Rodgers, but Jordy seems to be the big-play guy of the moment, and he'll benefit again this year from Jennings pulling extra coverage.

5) Hakeem Nicks - Victor Cruz had an outstanding year - but partially because nobody expected much from him, and then had trouble catching up.  Hakeem is still the better receiver when healthy, but it's close.

5a) AJ Green - Jesus H Alzheimers, I was re-reading this today and realized I didn't have AJ Freaking Green on here...I blame old age. Between AJ and Nicks, I start getting worried about weekly production...then I realize I worry too much.... (Edited: 8/16/12)

6) Mike Wallace  Dwayne Bowe Dez Bryant - There, that covers about where Wallace and Bowe would /will be sitting if either ever shows up to camp. However, I start dropping those guys incrementally each week they're still out, and honestly it wouldn't surprise me much if Wallace goes deep into the season. Colossal mistakes on both parts. That said, it moves Dez up a couple notches. While he's still got a way to go, this is the year Dez becomes 'the guy' in Dallas, with Miles moving to the lesser spotlighted role. Meanwhile, if Mike or Dwayne bother showing, they'd be somewhere in this area.

7) Brandon Marshall - I'm gonna take a deep breath and say this: if Cutler and Marshall can even get to 80% of where they were in Denver, Marshall will be a Top 3 receiver. However, I think they're only gonna get to about 60-70%, because there's going to be a lot of forcing, and still a horrid line for Cutty, so he drops here.
'What. In. The. Eff. Does. A. Guy. Got. To. Do. To. Get. Paid?'

8) Wes Welker * YES, IF IT'S A PPR, WES WELKER MOVES UP A BUNCH LIKE ALWAYS. - Still not sure why New England won't pay him, but Wes hits me as the kind of guy that makes that motivation to excel - and aside from the two TEs, Welker is going to far and away outperform all the other hands on that team. (Also, I expect Brandon Lloyd to disappear) And then he's gonna play for the Bears or Vikes next year.

9) Larry Fitzgerald - Maybe the best receiver in the game - even challenging CJ - but his quarterback situation is horrifying. Hor. I. Fy. Ing. That affects a guy's production when they're depending on 'passes'. He'll get his, but he's gonna have to do most of the work.

9)  Steve Johnson - Kinda spotty last year, but as I'm big on the Bills overall, I think Stevie rebounds and could crack the top 5 by year's end. Could. But if I'm being honest, I'd rather he not be my WR1 option just yet.

10) Victor Cruz - He's gonna have a little more trouble getting his salsa on this year, because guys have had a year to figure him out. Thankfully, he still has enough skill to get past that.

11) Eric Decker - I loved him last year, and really am having trouble determining if he or Demaryius ends up as Peyton's favorite son - but I got a gut feeling Decker gets a little more.  High on this list? Maybe...you'll be able to get him a lot later than a bunch of the names below, but I'm looking for value, and I'd LOVE having Decker at WR2, especially if he's sitting there down the line.

12 & 13) DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin- Might as well tie them together, because barring injury I see them finishing up with around the same fantasy production. And if either one left, I think it would hurt the other - as long as Philly can keep both guys on the field, you're looking at probably the best option at WR2 you can land in either case.

14) Greg Jennings - I expect good things and solid production from Jennings, like usual, and for the same logic I used for Jordy Nelson...I just don't see him being quite as impactful this year - and the fact that he's already not practicing or participating due to some form of lingering and ill-defined concussion worries me. Enough to drop him way down the list...

 15) Steve Smith - Started out hot last year and had his best season since 2008 - that should continue as Brandon LaFell continues to develop into a solid #2 option, giving Steve more opportunity than he's had in a few years - early chemistry with Cam didn't hurt either.

16) Percy Harvin - So Percy started getting a little snitty in the offseason - I would too if I was still on the Vikes. However, he's the best thing going, and even with opposing Ds knowing that, he's going to be lethal....might be slow out of the blocks, but once AD is close to full speed, and Jerome Simpson comes back from his herbal vacation, things should be opening up for Percy.

17) .Demaryius Thomas - While admitting that you never learned your routes before might not be the most endearing statement, from all accounts DT has taken Peyton's arrival seriously. That said, I think Decker outshines him.
Drew Pearson. It took a car crash to take
take him out of the game. You get what
we're saying, Miles? Dez? Ladies.

18) Miles Austin - The fact that he's already been hurt in training camp bodes poorly for a healthy year out of Miles. A good WR2 option who's likely lost value due to the injuries, that's where I'd take him, but not as my #1 guy this year.

19) Pierre Garcon - Pierre Garcon was seemingly the only guy trying most weeks last year on Indy, and while Washington has a long way to go, he's made a significant upgrade in surrounding talent and doesn't really have much competition to be the #1 guy there. I think he fast becomes RG3's best buddy and it'll reflect in the fantasy stats.

20) Antonio Brown - Who got a nice fat contract so Pittsburgh could tell Mike Wallace to go eff himself. Whatever works! That said, if Brown does have to carry the load for that corps, it's going to be easier to account for him. If and when Wallace shows up, Antonio's job becomes easier. If he doesn't show, Brown's still the best thing going for Fat Be

21) Anquan Boldin - I've seen a lot of rankings of Torrey Smith over Anquan. I'm not sure why, because Anquan is still a far more consistent receiver than Smith. I think a Ravens receiver belongs on the Top 25, and while Boldin's consistency has been spotty the last couple of years, he's still the prime directive here until somebody proves differently.

22) Denarius Moore - Maybe Carson Palmer won't be so 'meh' this year, and Denarius can vault upwards. I don't see that as likely, so this is as high as he goes.
Or possibly Jerry comes out of retirement
just to make Randy cry on the way out the door.

23) Malcom Floyd - I get that Norv wants Bob Meachem to be 'the guy' this year, but there's a couple hurdles there: 1) Meachem wasn't 'the guy' at New Orleans, ever, and 2) Floyd knows this offense, and his QB, entirely more thoroughly. Meachem might have more raw talent (if that's a measurable), but I don't think it's enough to eclipse Floyd this year, his chance to shine with VJ out of the way.

24) Marques Colston - The Saints are going to continue to throw a lot, and Marques is still the best WR option on the team, but he's really more like a #3 behind Graham and Sproles. I won't draft him, unless he dropped so far it was impossible not to.

25) Michael Crabtree/Mario Manningham  - One of these two guys is going to emerge as the leader on the 9ers, but it's way too soon to call that. Again, both these guys (and maybe Moss) are WR2 fantasy receivers at best, and they've flooded the position so much it's going to be hard for any one flanker to stand out.

Here's a little additional bit I'm throwing in just for the receivers section - because there's a million of them.

I'm Avoiding: 

Vincent Jackson - Going to Tampa was a cash grab, and VJ is going to miss Rivers more that Rivers is going to miss him.

Stop. Getting. Arrested. You. Moron.
Kenny Britt - Chris Johnson should give Britt a portion of his game check every week from here on out for making sure all the attention gets diverted away from him. Healthy or not, Britt has quickly turned into the league's most outstanding active sh*thead. In fact, how nobody has trademarked the name 'Complete Britthead' for use in tee shirts is beyond me.

Seattle  - All of them, at least for drafting purposes. Until there's some order set there - and at the QB position first - that's a well of dirty poison. Maybe this'll change when they have less than a dozen receivers at camp....but considering TO and Braylon are reportedly leading the pack so far, I doubt it.

I'm Keeping an Eye On:

Randall Cobb and his new incorporation into Green Bay's Tecmo Offense, All the other Raiders receivers in case Carson gets some mojo back, Brian Quick in case Bradford gets healthy, and Steve Breaston and Jon Baldwin, in lieu of Dwayne Bowe getting his head out of his keester. Might as well throw LaFell on that list for the heck of it...and Vincent Brown.

On Deck for Thursday: The Ever-Lovin' Tight Ends!


Your complaints about these unjust rankings will be easier communicated when you follow @AmazingMattyP on the Twitter

In fact, follow all the ReclinerQB crew - they're good people and may listen to your complaints!




No comments:

Post a Comment