Thursday, August 18, 2011

2011 Fantasy Football Overrated Players

 By: Zach Jacobson

This is a follow-up to my 2011 Fantasy Football Steals article charting what players are being under drafted so far.  However, this time around I'll be giving you a few of the more overrated players going into the 2011 fantasy season.  I'll be using ESPN's ADP (Average Draft Position) to show where players are normally going, along with how many players of the same position are going before them.

Running Backs

Maurice Jones-Drew, JAC:  This is largely a toss-up.  I have MJD ranked as my 15th running back in my Fantasy Football Rankings, but I've seen him ranked as high as 5th.  His knee isn't the only factor in his low rank.  Backup Rashad Jennings career 5.4 yards per carry (YPC) along with Jones-Drews' YPC decreasing when he gets a larger workload also were a big consideration for me.  I get that MJD only had 5 touchdowns last season, and that's probably bound to increase, but if he struggles like he did at the beginning of last year I see Jennings getting a larger portion of the carries.
ADP:  8.1 (RB 6)

Wide Receivers

Michael Crabtree, SF:  Let's start with the fact that Alex Smith can't throw, and Colin Kaepernick has proven absolutely nothing.  He was being drafted as a WR3 before this past week, and he may not even be ready to play on opening day!  Crabtree's been drafted too high his first two years in the league, and this year is no different.  I'm not calling Crabtree an NFL bust yet, but he's been riddled with injuries in his short career and he has a garbage work ethic.  These factors combined with the addition of Braylon Edwards makes Michael Crabtree overrated.
ADP:  134.2 (WR 47)

Kenny Britt, TEN:  Here's another guy that may not even play come week 1.  He's been arrested three times this off-season, and chances are that you'll end up drafting him and he'll get suspended.  He's a huge talent, there's no doubt about that, but he's also a huge risk.  Drafting Michael Crabtree may not be the worst thing (due to his low ADP), but Britt is being drafted as a WR2, which is way too high.  Kenny Britt a no-no in fantasy drafts.
ADP:  64.0 (WR 21)

Santana Moss:  Rex Grossman and John Beck.  Enough said.
ADP:  87.9 (WR 30) 

Don't forget to follow me on Twitter!  @Zatchj62
  

No comments:

Post a Comment